Friday, February 16, 2007

Fuzzy rice and Tonkatsu

Well, we've been in Tokyo just over a month now, so we decided to celebrate in true Tokyo style. Oh yeah, we bought a rice cooker.

It's not just any rice cooker mind you. It has many buttons, displays and beeps; it looks like a little R2D2 and probably can even show a hidden message about the Force, but all I do is push the one English button.
"Mom," my son asked. "What are you doing?"
"I'm making rice."
"No, Mom," he said. "You're making fuzzy rice."
He was right. The one English button that I pushed to start the machine actually says "Fuzzy" on it. (I'm thinking that it should probably say "Fluffy" instead??) Anyway, we had rice for dinner that night and many nights after and it tastes perfect every time...and not at all fuzzy, to the great disappointment of my six-year-old son who wanted to write about fuzzy rice in his school journal.

The other update is that we are learning how to read.
"I know what that says," my husband said last night. He was looking at a sign at a restaurant. He's been taking Japanese lessons.
"Me too," my oldest son said who is also taking lessons. "I can read it too! I can read. I can finally read."
"So," I said, after a few minutes of high-fiving and fist-pounding to celebrate with them. "What does it say?"
"Tonkatsu!" my husband and kids yelled. "Tonkatsu! Tonkatsu!"
"So what does that mean?" I asked after a few minutes.
Awkward silence. The ol' translation buzz kill.
Here, you need to do a triple translation. First, figure out if it's hiragana or katakana, then read it, and then translate to English.

I looked up tonkatsu in my dictionary when we got home. That's right. We were fist-pounding on the streets of Tokyo about "pork cutlets." Yes!

1 comment:

MING said...

Pork cutlets are worthy of fist pounding in any language :)