Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ganbatte

"Give it all you've got today," I said to my boys first thing Monday morning. It was a big day for them and I was convinced that my motherly reminders might make a difference. And because I was so nervous for my boys, I yelled all of my other favorite motherly sayings:

"Make a contribution!"

"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. Give 110%!"

"Drink your milk!"

"Don't poke anyone's eye out!"

"Strive to be the person the dog thinks you are!"


"If you have to borrow money, borrow from a pessimist. He will never expect it back!"

Monday was indeed a big day for my boys. It was one of those do-or-die days. "C'mon now!" I cheered from a distance. "Curt, Jonathan, keep your focus. Kevin, be a leader. Okajima-san, Matsuzaka-san...this bow's for you." My family and I may be half a world away, but we love our "boys" back home. Red Sox ga suki desu.

Over the past 10 months since we moved to Tokyo, my family and I have experienced many changes:


We've become much more adventurous eaters (sweet beans, beef tongue, shark, edamame note to self: pop edamame in your mouth, don't actually try to chew them).

We've changed our acccent. ("Wicked good" is now "oishii des.")

We've learned how to quickly slip off our tie-shoes. Sometimes a little too enthusiastically.

We've changed our feelings towards green tea ice cream. (oishii des.)

And, we've started following local Japanese baseball teams. (You just got to love yelling "Go Hamfighters!")

But, my family and I have not changed our love for our home team. We are still crazy as always for the Boston Red Sox. Go Sox!


So, "banzai" (well done!) against the Cleveland Indians on Sunday night (Monday morning Tokyo time). Go get those Rockies on Wednesday night, boys. Remember who you are. Don't poke an eye out. And, as they say in Tokyo, "ganbatte kudasai" (do your best)!

2 comments:

ming said...

So I was wondering if the kids stayed home from school to watch the game, and if BP had the whole office gathered around the TV???

Cindy & Matilda said...

you can't say "hamfighters" without further explanation!!!!